Rat Poisoning and Your Dog

September 12, 2021

Rat poison or rodenticide contains harmful chemicals that can affect your pet severely.

Bromethalin rodenticide or rat poison when ingested can cause numerous symptoms ranging from seizures, muscle tremors and reduced movement.

When Do Symptoms Show?

Two to seven days of bromethalin ingestion and up to 4-6 weeks for some dogs. (This timeline makes it imperative that your dog receive treatment before they start showing symptoms!)

Signs and Symptoms

  • Short- and long-term loss of appetite
  • Muscle tremors
  • Vomiting and
  • Nose bleeds
  • Bleeding gums
  • Breathing trouble

Steps to Take if Your Dog Ingested Rat Poison

  • Call your vet and Barksdale Labradoodles immediately! Also: / 1-800-213-6680.
  • Do not wait to see if symptoms develop or to self-treat. Make a note of these details, as your vet will need information to treat your dog.
  • Day and time of poison ingestion
  • Size, weight and type of dog
  • Brand name and manufacturer of the rat poison
  • Amount of poison ingested (amount missing from the package)


The new variety of poison is not like the old Rat Poison and has come into use in the last year or two. The poisoning is very difficult to treat and quite often fatal.

The best cure is to not let it happen – avoid it in the environment.

Our advice is to call your local Pest Control Company-they usually have pet and kid safe lockboxes with the rat poison.

If you use store bought bait, please ensure your pets cannot get into it.

If conventional methods don’t get rid of the problem, there is a safety box that can be purchased to distribute the poison. And most importantly **after the Rat dies, always dispose it promptly.

Helpful Links for Pet Safe Rat Bait Station
(These are just suggestion and not endorsements by Barksdale Labradoodles)

Credits: This information in this article has been compiled with helpful information from and .
September 14th, 2021|
Go to Top